Susak is a small island in the Kvarner Bay, west of Losinj. Unlike the other islands in the Adriatic, its limestone base is covered with a few tens of meters thick layer of fine and very fertile sand, which provides a good ground for vineyards and cane. Coast is steep and is only available in the bays, but it's rare rocky. Susak is the only settlement on the island, it lies on a wide bay on the eastern coast of the island. Its old part lies on the edge of the sandy plains, while his new part lies along the harbor. There is also a sandy beach. Regular ferry line connects Susak with Mali Losinj and Rijeka. On the island there is a post office, grocery and several restaurants and cafes.
The island of Susak is one of the offshore islands. The island is 3.75 km2, and the highest point on the island is at 98 m above sea level. The island is really a small and length is just 3 km and a width is about 1.5 km. Despite Susak in very near Lošinj, island remained isolated for more than 1000 years, which is evident from a very old Croatian dialect spoken by the locals, and the picturesque folk costumes. Sv. Nicholas (Nicholas) from year 1770 contains Romanesque wooden cross from the 12th century, known as 'Veli Buoh'. Susak island was first mentioned 844th in Venetian chronicle of John Deacon as 'Sansagus'. In a surprising number of old, especially nautical charts, appear and the island of Susak, an important point west of the archipelago on the outer route from Istria to Central Dalmatia.
Shortly before the birth of Christ, Romans had come to the island. During the long period of Roman rule from AD 177 BC, to the 476th year, when the collapse of the Western Roman Empire was, Susak was a Roman settlement by type called 'villa rustica', due to the particularly fertile ground for the cultivation of wine grapes, fruit, vegetables, and the possibility of fishing. This is supported by, among other things, architectural sculpture, 'Roman crown', now set in the wall of the parish church. Susak island belonged to the group of smaller Apsyrtides archipelago, islands that were in ancient times tying the bloody tragedy of Jason, Medea and Apsyrt, who was allegedly killed at Osor (Island Cres) and according to which the whole area of the island was named. In history, Susak was mentioned relatively recently, John Deacon at the beinning of the XI. Century says that at the 844th Saracens killed Venetian fleet near by island Susak.
Susak island was owned by the Benedictines from 11th to 13th century. Around their fortified monastery peasants lived, who handled their fields. Then island Susak come under the crown of King of Hungary, and after that to the Venetian. Under the rule Venezia, islands in this whole archipelago, remained until year 1797. Later Napoleon comes to power the Illyria, and after that, by the decision of the Vienna Congress 1815th, Susak was attached to the Austrian monarchy. Islan is under Austrian rule until the end of the First World War, and then by contract become a part of Italy. In the Kingdom of Italy, the island was until 08.09.1943. Then Susak falls under military occupation of German troops, until the end year 1945. Based on the Peace Treaty of Paris (1947) Suak was annexed to Yugoslavia. Despite these data, which are valuable (although limited and only for a specific period), about Susak, about his origins and his village and his name, we know a very little.
A rapid growth of Losinj's tourism in the late 19th century, was largely influence on the economy of Susak, because the island has expanded market for its products (grapes, wine, and fish), and even the island itself was not rest completely on the margins of tourist interest, like some other islands of the archipelago. Very early, at the very beginnings of Losinj+s tourism, peculiarities of the island was noticed, and the main attraction was its sandy beach in the bay of Bok. The only area outside the village in which the activities were conducted completely independent of the settlement. Arrangement the bay Bok was started back in the early twentieth century, and has become especially popular as a health resort, and the Sanatorium Dr. Hajos from Mali Losinj advised their patients to go there and used the sandy beach for medicinal baths. Today on Susak there are rooms and apartment for rent, but there are no hotels, and the island is facing more day excursions and nautical tourism.